The advent of Uber has made life easier for many people. Anyone can call a ride without having to wait for taxis on the road. Uber completes about 15 million rides every single day, so there is no doubt that people like this cab service. Unfortunately, Uber rides are still car rides and can get into accidents.
Sometimes Uber accidents happen because of the negligence of the Uber driver. If you have been involved in one, it is important to speak with a personal injury attorney. Reach out to your doctor as soon as possible to check your injuries as well.
Uber accident FAQ
- Do Uber drivers need to carry special insurance?
Yes. Uber drivers need to carry special insurance depending on whether they are actively driving the car. Here is an easy breakdown of the facts to make you understand:
- When the Uber driver is not transporting a passenger and is not on the app, their personal car insurance will cover the damages.
- When the Uber driver is not transporting a passenger and is on the app, they must carry $25,000 worth of property damage per accident and $50,000 injury insurance funds per person or $100,000 per crash.
- When the Uber driver is transporting a passenger and is on the app, they must carry at least $1,000,000 in insurance.
- What should one do after the accident?
When you realize you have been in an Uber accident, you should take the following steps:
- Collect the names and contact information of everyone involved in the accident.
- Collect the other party’s insurance information to provide to your lawyer.
- Take photos and videos of the accident.
- Call the police to create a report.
- My Uber driver caused an accident that resulted in my injuries. Who is liable?
When you are riding in an Uber, and the driver causes an accident because of their negligence, they are liable for the injuries and other damages caused. With the help of an attorney, you can determine the damages caused, gather evidence, and recover the compensation.
- Can you file a case against Uber?
Uber is well-established with a net worth of hundreds of millions of dollars. Therefore, it is understandable when an individual is scared of filing a case against them. However, Uber solves its legal issues responsibly. If you want to go after Uber for your injuries, you may contact your attorney to understand your options.
However, going after Uber for an accident caused by the driver is not the best route. This is because drivers are considered independent contractors and not employees of the company. Nevertheless, your attorney can help you look for another route.